Kaylen - Ventura, California

“Though this place is dark and the future bland”

Everyone has that special thing that they would grab before they flee a burning building. That special thing that is closest to their heart, it is essential to their being. It never loses meaning and is always there for you. It is the most loyal thing they own. Maybe it was a gift or a family heirloom that is special to them. Robin Hood’s arrow, Johnny Cash’s guitar, a necklace or picture- it comes in every shape and form, yet always bringing the same warm feelings. And as one grows, new things take this special form, not replacing the first or second but enriching their life and growing with them.

As a one-month-old baby my mom purchased a stuffed animal pig about three times my size to prop me up while eating and protect me from falling of the couch. From that day until now and one hundred years from now, Pig, as he is called, was, is, and will be here for me.

I’ve lived a good life thus far. Every happy, sad, and tough time I’ve had, so has Pig. He has seen me at my worst and never left. He’s been there through every tear and every bad dream. I am never alone with Pig. I am never without a hug. He loves me for me. He understands me, and when everyone else just doesn’t understand he sticks it out through my whole cry and never once judges me. Not once has he called me a name, and not once will he let me down. When my mom says, “ I told you not to see the Grudge” Pig braves through those nights giving me an extra boost of bravery in the midst of pure terror.

I will have Pig forever and he will always be there for me. But as I grow, things in life change. He has taught me many things, and for that I am forever grateful. He has taught me to cry when necessary, smile at everyone, give lots of hugs, love, and be loved. From Pig I have learned to simply be there for the people most important in my life; without judgment and “I told you so’s”, but with open arms and a shoulder to cry on.

Moving through life from “blankie” to bracelet, to wedding ring, to your grandchildren’s finger paintings- each thing will take its turn being important to you, but each new one will mean that much more. As I have experienced love for the first time I have realized how much pig has helped get me to this amazing point in my life. He helped me put all of my fears away and let myself experience this feeling to the fullest.

Everyone in this world has one, in one form or another. It means the same things. Always. Love. Companionship. Age has no relevance and close to your heart is where it always hangs. Forever and ever; through thick and through thin. This I believe.

Work Cited

Dyson, Angela K. “Close to My Heart.” Poems for the People- by the People. 1999. 25 Feb. 2007 .