Kelsey - Trussville, Alabama
Themes: death, family, legacy

I believe there is a purpose for everything that happens to you. I think that what happens at one point in your life impacts another in a much better way. Sometimes you can’t understand why you are put through the situations you are, but one day down the road you’ll learn the reason God places those things in your life, and you’ll learn from them.

I’m 15 years old, and 7 years ago when I was 8, something happened to my family and I that I thought I would never be able to understand. After school one day, I was upstairs with my little sister when my dad walked in with my older brother and sister. He sat us down and told us had to tell to tell us something. When he finally told us, I knew my life would never be the same. The words that came out of his mouth almost seemed unreal. My mom, my hero, had passed away earlier that day.

Just the thought of living without her seemed impossible. When something big like that happens, it seems like there is no way it can be. I knew that when I went back downstairs, my mom would not be there waiting for me. My first boyfriend, first day of high school, graduation, wedding, and all other important things in a girls life would never be the same. My mom would not be there helping me through each step by step. But that was where I was wrong.

I wasn’t able to consider realizing at the time that she was there. She was with us in the room that night, and she’ll be there for me in everything I do! As years passed, I realized more and more that not only is she watching me, but I need to make her proud. I’m not the kind of person who gets into bad things, but because of her, I know I never will. There is no telling what kind of things I could be involved with in high school without her. I believe that God used my mom as an example of how to live. I know that she lived an incredible life as a beautiful woman, devoted wife, incredible mother, and an amazing Christian, and that makes me want to be more like her. She can see how I live today, and hopefully I will make her proud.

When my dad sat my family down and told us about my mom’s death, I didn’t understand why such an awful thing would happen to me. Now I see that she is there for me always and forever. Some people have parents that don’t care or can’t make it to school plays, football games, band concerts, etc., but if I have one, my mom will be at each and every one, sitting in the front row, rooting me on not only as my wonderful mom, but as my number one fan!