Sara - houston, Texas

First, I would like to say that I am a teenager currently in high school, and although it may not seem to be a shocker, I believe in humor and laughing (not the inappropriate type). I seriously think it is a key ingredient to happiness, and therefore to life. It has not only helped me in times of depression, but it has made life fun. I mean, who can live without laughing? I certainly can’t. Being with my family and friends and laughing at jokes together is what fulfills life’s true goal—happiness.

Shopping, watching movies, receiving gifts, and eating gourmet food are just a few examples of some good experiences in life, but these are only materialistic and worldly. For me, they do not satisfy my hunger for joy and life’s true meaning of happiness from the heart. The best moments in life for me have been when I was with close friends laughing at each other sarcastically or what we’ve been through. Not too long ago I was at home watching television, and a friend comes over to borrow something. So I tell her to stay a while, and we could go out shopping. But then, we started talking and had a blast. Time flew by as we were switching back and forth with stories and jokes, just having a good time together. That was what was important to me, although I had not realized it at the moment.

Humor is miraculous and unbelievable. It has done so much for me. When I go through hard times, humor has got my back. I can’t remember a time when I was hurting inside, or even physically, when laughing it out didn’t come to my rescue. Since I am a worry wart and usually a nervous wreck when it comes time for a test, I am usually panicking and frustrating over the test. But then my friends come along and cool me down by taking me off the subject of school to something stupid they did or saw. And then slowly I relax and realize that tests aren’t everything. I would prefer to be a fun, amiable, laughing jokester who enjoys and gets something out of life.

Laughing is so important and gives such an amazing and unexplainable feeling of love, joy, and happiness that I hope to habitually experience. And since I plan to go into the medical field, I believe that having a sense of humor will be necessary in dealing with such difficult and sad experiences but also in living a spirited life. This I believe.