Rachael - Pelham, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem, death

Live Life to the Fullest

You never know when it is your turn to leave this world. You could die suddenly in a car crash; of a homicide, by a disease you’re not aware of, like a heart attack, cancer, stroke, diabetes, the flu, Alzheimer’s, or liver disease. What would you have done different in your life if you knew you were going to pass on at a certain time? Would you have apologized to your sibling that you yelled at just before leaving the house? Would you have kissed a loved one, said I love you, traveled to an exotic destination, went sky diving, had a family, did service for others, read your favorite book, rode a rollercoaster, went to college, or ate your favorite food?

Life is too short to not live everyday to its fullest potential. That is what I believe. I believe that each day we are given only one chance. Never again can you relive yesterday, because time goes on and so does life. A goal of mine was to make each and everyday productive and worth while, by smiling at someone, having fun, laughing, eating ice cream, soaking up the sun, dancing until I can’t stop, and spending time with friends and family. I decided this when I was a sophomore in high school, after receiving word about 2 classmates that died in a car crash.

A senior and a sophomore, both friends, were out late at night, and happened to be in the wrong place, at the wrong time. They were killed by a drunk driver. I have always wondered what they were thinking the night they died? Did they say “shoot, I forgot to do my chores, I have a huge social studies project due, I have a championship basketball game tomorrow; or I was going out to brunch with my family on Sunday”?

What would you have thought if you were in that situation? Could you have stated that you lived life to the fullest? At that age in life, you’re young and haven’t experienced the world and what life is all about. Life is a time to create memories, and enjoy the pleasures of the earth. When I die, I would ask myself, did I treat life as a valuable, priceless object or just something ordinary and worthless?