Kelly - Emporia, Kansas

The thing that I most believe in is fate. My whole life, I have always wanted to do the right thing. I never wanted to disappoint anyone, especially my parents. For me, fate has brought me into a place that I now call home. It all started when I was nineteen years old. I was a college drop-out with no real direction in life. One night, when I was out with some friends, I drank a little too much and ended up sleeping with a guy I had just met. I thought that it was the biggest mistake that I had ever made. After that night, we began dating, and a month later, I found out that I was pregnant. I thought I had disappointed the people that cared about me the most in life. I was now going to be an unwed mother without a job. I thought my life was over. Little did I know, that my real life had just begun.

After my daughter was born, I decided that it was time to make a lot of changes in my life. I didn’t want to be the person that I was before. I wanted to be the best mom that I could possibly be. I wanted to prove to myself and to my daughter that life is a gift and we should always try our hardest in everything that we do. I began working at the County Attorney’s office as a legal secretary and enrolled back into college to work towards a bachelor‘s degree in Crime and Delinquency Studies. I was juggling work, school, a two year old daughter, and a home. Every time that I thought about giving up, I would look at my daughter, and everything seemed worth it. She had turned me into a responsible young woman with dreams for my future. I had never felt so good about myself. This is why I believe in fate. Fate brought my daughter to me. I needed her in my life to help guide me towards positive changes. She helped me see the potential I had to become a successful person. If not for her, I don’t know where I’d be.