AJ - fairbanks, Alaska

I believe that all things happen for a reason.

I have come to believe this through the recent death of my father. I feel this event has made me mature in ways that no other event can do. On September 12, 2006, I turned eighteen. Legally this meant I was an adult. I am now allowed to do things like move out on my own, got to the strip club, go to a real adult jail and join the army. Although all these doors were opened to me, I decided to hold on to my adolescence for awhile longer. In fact, my plan was to cling to it for as long as possible.

The day I heard the news, reality hit me like a brick. My father had died. In that moment alone I matured in so many ways. I realized I was eighteen, and I had some much ahead of me. Putting it off was only hurting myself.

All living things must die. When and how no one can ever know. Adolescence is, to many people, something to be held onto. Growing up means responsibility and independence, both of which are scary. At the same time, no one knows how long you have to experience life and putting it off may cause you to never experience it at all. The day my dad died, I was able to grasp the idea that clinging to my adolescence wasn’t the best idea. Of course, my adolescent years were ones to remember, good and bad. The memories made during these years are ones that no one can recreate. Without them I think I would be a completely different person all together. I’m sure the memories I’ll be creating outside of my adolescence will determine who I’ll be in the years to come.

The things that happen to us now shape the people we will be in the future. Though not all of the memories we have are pleasant I bet they have changed us in one way or another. So when you look back on life and remember the times that weren’t so good look for the little life lessons they have to teach you.