Matthew - Rexburg, Idaho

Belief, something you think should be true but you can’t see it. I don’t know if that is the dictionary meaning but that is what it means to me. So what do I believe? I believe that change is possible. I believe that all it takes is one person to facilitate a change. There have been many times in my life where at just the right time that one person came and saved me. I want to share one experience. This experience happened the first time I was released from jail. I must preface this story by telling you that my family is very religious and now I am as well. I wasn’t religious at all when I was released but my family wanted me to go with them to church. I was very hesitant but in the end agreed to go. I envisioned myself walking through the doors of the church and everyone giving me a long cold stare. When I finally made it to church that Sunday I was very nervous. I entered the church and realized that while no one was giving me long cold stares everyone decided that they were going to ignore me. These are people I had known since I was five. I was a little shocked and even more nervous. I remember sitting on the pew and vowing that after this service I would never come back. How could they shun me like this? Even though I was sitting with my family I have never felt more alone. When the service was over I was ready to just walk out. I did not want to stick around and deal with being invisible. As I made my way to the door I saw a lady I had known for probably six years. Mary was her name and she was actually acknowledging my existence. I didn’t know how to react so I played it cool and smiled with a little wave thrown in. She walked right up to me and gave me a big hug. She pulled back and looked me straight in the eye and told me that she was happy to see me, me, the church pariah. The one who had messed up and just got out of jail. She believed in me. She knew my struggles and yet she somehow knew that I needed someone and was willing to simply say hello. That hello is one I will never forget. What she said that day changed the course of my life. I believe in God and I believe that he puts people in our path to help us when we most need it. I believe that each of us has the potential to be that one person in someone’s life that makes all the difference.