Melissa - Rexburg, Idaho

On the outside, I am an ordinary, happy, full of life girl. However, others do not know the verbal abuse and childhood of unknown illness that challenged my life. Nevertheless, it is through these trials that I have developed a close relationship with God.

As a baby, I could eat very little without being sick all the time. It took many doctors, several test, and sixteen years of living with this mysterious illness before I was finally tested and diagnosed with Celiac Disease. I was unable to have a normal childhood. Since my diagnosis two years ago, I gained control of my body and walk tall as I continue my uphill battle.

In addition, I struggled as a child to deal with a verbally abusive father. I was constantly told I was “worthless and just not good enough.” It was not long before I started to believe it. On top of normal self- esteem struggles, I was hearing things a daughter should never have to hear.

In the face of these struggles, God was the only one I could turn to. When I was in the lonlinest time of my life, I had a friend. Praying kept me strong. Through prayer my desire to not only serve god has increased, but to serve and love others, as well. It is the happiness I receive from praying that has led me to believe in the power of prayer.