Haidy - Rexburg, Idaho

“If you had one wish, what would it be? World peace.” I believe that if we are to ever have such peace we have to first start with ourselves.

On my dad’s side of the family there is everything but peace. Time and time again I hear of fights, arguments, and other forms of hatred that happen in between my uncles and my cousins.

If they were to look back and try to figure out why they hate each other in the first place, I don’t think they would be able to figure it out. They live in Mexico and my family lives in the states; however every summer we go to visit, and it is so hard to play the “in between” person. My cousins don’t get along with each other, but I really don’t think they know why.

The sad thing is that it is not just a game, if not, it’s a way of living. I have been watching my cousin Cristian over the years and can see the hatred built up in his heart towards one of my uncles. What once was a loving, caring boy, is now what appears to be a dark monster. He has no respect for his family nor seems to care what happens to him. He’s been in Juvy more than twice and he is still only 14. Last I heard, we was wanted by the police, for who knows what.

One summer, while pouring his feelings out to me, he told me that if he were in the desert and had a gun, he would not think twice before shooting my uncle. My family says prayers, not only for my lost cousin, but for those who have caused that once innocent child to end up the way he has. My uncles yell at him, and have even called him stupid in the middle of one of their fistfights; but when it comes down to it, why is my cousin like this, who is really the one that started it? It is so much easier to start a fight with no cause than to say those simple words of “I’m Sorry.” It has been repeated many times in history.

The leaders of tomorrow are the adolescence of today, and if we can’t teach them that simple yet valuable principle, where is the world going to end up? I believe, that the principle of forgiveness is one of the greatest blessings, and if we were to start an epidemic of world peace, it could start by the simple words of “I’m sorry.”