Adam - Rexburg, Idaho
Themes: creativity, place

Why I Believe

Going to the Coachella music festival is a huge ordeal, with many problems and difficulties that can deter one from attending. First there is the travel. Driving to the desert in Southern California can be a huge ordeal in and of itself. Two years ago my car broke down on the way, and I had to stay in Palm Springs for an extra day to get it fixed. And now, living in Idaho, I have to fly down to Las Vegas, pick up my sister, and head down to Indio, where the Coachella Festival is located. The second deterrent is the cost. After the expensive plane tickets and the gas to get to the festival, the concert is eighty dollars a day. And not to mention the cost of a hotel, who hike up the prices for the weekend, or the thriftier alternative of camping, where the smell of dirty hippies might actually keep you from sleeping. The third problem is the weather itself; each day this concert, which lasts from noon to midnight, is being held in heat that’s well over 110 degrees. Sunstroke and dehydration are a prevailing reality during the festival. So why would anyone subject themselves to such cruelty to hear some live music?

The Coachella Festival, even with all the difficulties that it brings, is simply a great, rejuvenating experience, and is my favorite, most anticipated weekend of the year. I believe in the power of live music, and especially the community that is felt throughout the crowd, to strengthen and replenish your soul, making you feel alive and connected to this often hollow existence known as life. Each year I can see the most incredible musicians that you could only see at Coachella, and I meet new people from all walks of life who share the passion of music as a saving influence in their lives. There is nothing quite like standing up for hours under the hot, deathly sun in packed conditions, sharing water and food with those who’re feeling sick, waiting for 5 hours through bands so you can be right up close to Bjork, talking about life and music and art. Even my father, who is 46 years old, a leader in his church and the recipient of back surgery 6 months ago, went to his first Coachella this year and said he’ll never miss it again. He loved the community, the amazing bands, and the experiences that you can only have once a year in the desert of California. I believe that live music can change the world, one person at a time, and I believe that the Coachella Festival, even with all the hardships and trials that it can bring, can be a beacon of hope and love in this confusing world.