Brendan - Florida

Dedication has inspired my life as far back as I can remember. Probably one of the most influential person in my life is my dad. When I was younger I always was in awe of how hard he worked and how well he tried to take care of us. His job is extremely physical and not very glamorous. He would work from sun up to sun down but always made time for his family. I had no idea that his strong work ethic would influence me in such a positive way. As a young child, I would work side by side with him every chance I could. I wheeled power tools, hammers and nails at the young age of three. When my two younger brothers came around I felt extremely responsible for them .My parents and I became their protector. Even though we were so close in age, I was always the big brother. There is a bond I share with my family and that is dedication.

As I grew older, my sense of dedication seemed to grow beyond the family ties. I started doing sports and my life changed. After playing hockey for ten years , my effort and sacrifices paid off. I traveled all over the United States and Canada. The memories and friends I have made has influenced my life beyond description. My greatest opportunity was when I made the US Junior Olympic Team and the team won the gold medal in the World Cup. It was unquestionably, one of the most exciting moments in my life.

However, because of my sense of dedication , I missed an opportunity to play the following year because of work. I was working for a small business and my boss depended on me often. He would go away for weeks at a time and I would open and close the store my self.. I was responsible for all aspects of the business. My conflict came in when I was supposed to play for the Olympic team again but my boss was away and I could not leave him. I missed the opportunity to play again because of my sense of responsibility and dedication. When I give some one my word it is my word. I had no regrets. When my brother fell ill, I never left his side and I still am by his side anytime he needs me. I have been blessed in many areas of my life. Dedication to God, family ,friends and school is more important to me than anything.