Katelyn - Hollywood, Florida

“Finding Yourself through Finding Your Friends”

I started Nativity Catholic School in 2nd grade with no friends. I was the new girl and because of that I kept to myself and I was very shy. My first friend I met because I took keyboarding lessons and she happened to be in my 2nd grade class as well. Her name was AnnMarie, and I honestly don’t remember much about our relationship except the fact that she would eat her ice cream sandwiches really weird and it would always annoy me. Then 4th grade came around and I started to become friends with a little girl named Rachel. We would hangout on the weekends and the more time we spent together the more we realized how similar we actually were. When 5th grade approached I met this girl who wore butterfly clips and hadn’t yet realized that contacts had been invented, her name was Chiara. Through out Junior High our friendship had flourished and we’d become the best of buddies. We would occupy our spare time making funny videos that still keep us laughing today, and swimming in Rachel’s pool until our fingers pruned.

Becoming friends with Chiara and Rachel had brought out the personality that I’ve had all along but never got a chance to project. I believe that true friends bring out the best of you; the part of you that you might not have ever known you even had. There’s no feeling better that knowing that no matter what happens, you will always have support from the people you love the most. Over the years it’s as if we’ve become a family. It’s a type of love that’s impossible to understand unless you have best friends of your own. I thank God every day for giving me such amazing people in my life.