Dustin - rogers, Minnesota

Living with Family

“You got to stop being angry– Make the best with what you got…” These annoying, pelting phrases came out of my mom’s mouth toward me a lot. I always have had a bad temper I guess from time to time. I sometimes, well most of the time, stop to think about the situation: why am I mad? Who am I mad at? What do they do for me? Do they care for me? And the anger disappears like a stormy cloud, breaking apart from the sun’s rays. I have learned that I can’t fight my enemies all my life but live with my friends and family.

My family history is like the stormy cloud. There is much pain, agony, and sorrow in this story. Like all stories there is a hero. He is a man who has taught me many lessons without words but with actions. He is strong, considerate, and passionate. He is my father. His family is like the Brady bunch; a mom and dad marry with 4 kids of their own. They owned a station wagon and they would all go to road trips. But everyone is different and they are all the same too. My father, as a brother, would watch them: grow, learn, fight, and turn into human beings. My father usually sat back and watched things go by and he soon left for the military. When he left, he left behind: his 6-7 year old brother who needed him badly. To the little guy: he WAS his father. Next was his same aged brother who was like a shadow of my father. And the last brother was in trouble. He was into drugs and horrible things. And last were the sisters, whom were fine.

As he came back he was different. He wasn’t just a brother but he was a man. The family changed too, for the worst. The family was in shambles, crying for help. His little brother was 10 and was just identical as the bad one because he was the only influence he had and as for the bad one: he was gone. Disappeared, exiled himself. And the shadowing brother was shot dead. My father’s world was spinning on a pedestal and would not stop. Everyone made mistakes and blamed each other or their own problems.

Over the years the family tried to pick itself back up and is rebuilding itself. But the tension is still there, looming in mid air like a disease. I always asked him why he was avoiding everyone on his side of his family and I know why. They hurt him, they don’t say thank you but in return say step off. I believe that in life live with your family not fighting your enemies. But I will teach all my ancestors and those who come to follow. Because the amount of pain my father went through, I couldn’t let that happen to someone else. I have to make the best with what I got, because one day it could all go away.