Mindy - Otsego, Minnesota

Keep your Sunny Side Up!

Every morning, before I leave for school, my mom has done the same thing. She says, “Make me . . .” “Proud,” I answer. She says, “Keep your . . .” “Sunny side up,” I fill in. I live by that second one every day. Keep your sunny side up. I believe that if you let your good side show, you can change a person’s day with something as simple as a smile.

The way a person acts really affects the atmosphere around them. I know that when a teacher is having a bad day, do not do anything to make it worse for them. However, if that teacher is having a good day, that class is most likely to run pretty smoothly.

One of my favorite times to use my mom’s advice is when I’m meeting new people or on the first day of school. First impressions are very important, so I want to make a good one. That’s why on that first day of school, when I’m meeting new teachers and some new students, I try my best to walk into the classroom with a smile on my face and let my “bubbly side” show.

I remember following that quote in a lot of situations, but the one time I can remember it best was actually on the first day of school this year. On that first day, everyone is catching up on the summer with their friends and don’t really notice the new kids. Of course it’s easy if they come in the middle of the year, because you see a new face in the classroom! What about all those other kids who are new on the first day and don’t know anyone? So on September 5th, 2006, I made it my mission to go sit by that kid sitting alone (that I knew had moved here over the summer), say “Hey are you new here?” (Of course they said yes), and give them a smile and introduce myself. I’ve actually become good friends with a few of them.

All my life, I’ve followed what my mom told me. Although I may have done some things that didn’t make her proud (hey, I’m a kid, give me a break), I have a smile on my face 95% of the time, “keeping my sunny side up.”