Hannah - psano, Texas

I can do anything

I get up in the morning, get out of bed and go get a bowl to make my breakfast. I pour in the cereal, then the milk, it almost overflows. I take a sip before I carry it to the table. I eat my breakfast then go pick out some cloths. I go into my sister’s room to make sure they match. Not that I am self conscious but I am legally blind from birth and matching is something that is difficult to do. Just like everyone else when I was little my parents used to tell me that I could do anything that I want to when I grow up. I am grown up now, and as I’m actually looking at what I want to do my parents have changed their views, some things “won’t be possible” because of my vision. I have chosen not to think this way. I believe that anything is possible if I set my mind to it.

This past summer the week of July 4th I went to a convention of the national federation of the blind and my favorite thing about it was their constant assurance that visually impaired persons can do anything we want as long as we set our minds to it, during the week there I met a blind carpenter, some teachers, and a bunch of lawyers. Though none of them have the profession that I aspire to someday have I still took the experience to mean that I could do anything too. When I was there I got to do one of my favorite things, sign. My friend Emily and I were at a seminar about guide dog ownership a person was blind and hard of hearing walked in. She didn’t have an interpreter and couldn’t understand what was being said, so I offered my help interpreting. She accepted, and I signed the whole seminar to her. It was a very exiting experience, and the girl was very grateful I was there.

I had another similar experience while I was at the retake center for the math TAKS test last summer. I was walking up to the sign in desk to ask if they had ordered my large print test, and the mother and daughter in front of me were signing to each other. After I found out they ordered my test I went over to the table they were sitting at and started signing to Cayla. We signed back and forth until we had to go take the test. For a while she even thought I was her interpreter!

I get up to a new day every day, and in that day anything is possible. Not because I think it is, I know it is. No one can tell me any different.