Marissa - Hollywood, Florida
Themes: change, setbacks

This I Believe…in a Second Chance to LIVE!!

I once was a care free; thrill seeking, risk taking seventeen year old that took everything for granted, including my own life. I was under the impression that I was invincible and that there wasn’t a single choice that could change my life the way it did that night. It started out like any other Saturday night and I could have never imagined what the outcome of that night would be. It was already two thirty in the morning when I realized that I was past my curfew. I left my friends quickly fearing my mom’s reaction when I got home. As I drove home I couldn’t stop thinking about what my mom was going to do when I got home, since it wasn’t the first time that I got home extremely late. It was already almost three and I decided to speed the rest of the way home. I was nearly home when I tried to stop myself from running over something crossing the street. My car spun out of control and all I can remember thinking was what I am going to hit and how am I going to survive this. Next thing I knew I was being carried into an ambulance and all I could think about was how I had I let my mom down. I didn’t think about the pain, I didn’t think about my car, all I thought about was my mom’s reaction to finding out that her daughter is in the hospital at three thirty in the morning instead of in her bed. Seeing my mom that night in the hospital was the worse thing I have ever experienced. It was so hard to look at my mom and see the way she felt all because of my stupid decisions that night. The fact that I survived totaling my car with a couple scratches made me look at my life from a completely new perspective. It forced me to realize that life truly is precious and that one bad choice can change it or end it forever. Everyday that you are given to live is a miracle and a blessing from God. Take care of that gift of life and be thankful for each and everyday. Now every time that I am about to do something that could jeopardize my life I simply take a look at my scars and thank God for my second chance to live.