Perri - Hewlett, New York

People are always expected to make mistakes; for if we did not, we would not be considered humans. I believe there is a reason for everything, even though there may be no evident answers at the time. From the moment we wake up, till the second we go to bed, we are forced to make decisions for ourselves. So, how are we supposed to know if we did made the right choices? Would we still have made these decisions if we knew the consequences that came along with them?

In my life, I’ve made thousands of mistakes. However, if I did not make them, I wouldn’t be the person I am today.

There is one thing in my life that I regret the most. It’s taking things and people for granted. Of course I take the obvious television, iPod, cell phones, and flat irons for granted- but that’s the least of it. I take my friends and family for granted. My dad always goes out of his way to make me and my brother happy all the time. After being taken to tons of sporting games with amazing seats, and being given everything I asked for, I took a step back and asked myself “do I appreciate this?” It was then that I realized how selfish and spoiled I had been. After learning this lesson, I always thank my parents 1000 times and try my best to show them how appreciative I was.

The other mistake in my life was taking my friends for granted. I live in a world where gossip is a form of entertainment. Without even knowing t, I’d be consumed in talking about people behind their backs. Once in 3rd grade, I was having a sleepover with two of my best friends. One of my friends fell asleep (so I thought) and my other friend and I started saying hurtful things about her. When we decided we were going to sleep, the friend we thought was sleeping told us she had heard everything we had said. I remember seeing how hurt she had been. Whenever I catch myself thinking or saying something mean about another person- especially one of my good friends, I realize how upset they would be if it had gotten back to them. We’re all not perfect though, nor do I am to be. But, trying my best is the most I can do. It’s the worst feeling in the world to be talked about and I know what it’s like.

If you think about it, everything, all the experiences that could’ve been life changing or the little things that have taken place n your life, all happened for a reason. Although I am still somewhat unsure about why millions of people are faced with death-causing disease, I am sure there is a reason behind it all. Everything that has happened to me in my life does have a reason to it. This I believe.