Caitlin - Valley Stream, New York

Were rumors ever spread about you? Have you even been made fun of? Have you ever been called a name that hurt you? Well these things have happened to me, and I know I don’t like it.

I believe that words can hurt. Although many people believe that if someone calls you a name to just ignore them. For some people it is hard because it sticks in your mind forever. If you walk into a room and someone calls you a name it could upset you a lot. They could make fun of your race, color, or background or anything about you. When you get made fun of it is hard to get out of you mind because you would be upset. If you get hurt physically then those scars go away over time. Saying something bad about a little kid such as a baby they might believe you and think that what you said about them is true. One day last year when I was playing the flute someone comes up to me and says that I am really bad at the flute. They said that they are better than me and my friends. The next day in band my friends and I are playing the flute and we were really mad. My friend quit band because of this kid and what he said. I learned not to react badly to harsh words because you can’t let those people get the best of you. As the saying goes “sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me.” In a way I don’t think that is true. If you get hit by a stick the scars go away and you forget about it. If you get teased and made fun of it is very hard to forget. I believe that words can hurt. This I believe.