Maria - Ballwin, Missouri

While the world doesn’t change

I’m not a politician. I’m not an activist. I’m not even one of those people that when they say their names, people stare at them because of how important they are. I’m just a person who has the same beliefs as everyone else who wants to change the world. Roosevelt once said “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are”. Well, here I am. I used to think that the world would change by itself, but last year I realized that it’s not that easy. And here’s why: cultures need to understand other cultures. People need to understand other people, because in the end, we all want the same things. We all depend on each other in order to survive. Like my grandma used to say “It’s a jungle out there”. But why does it have to be a jungle? Why there are people who are afraid of walking out their door because they’re afraid of what might happen? We can change that.

I’m willing to change it. I really am. I was 15 when I decided that, and I started working towards it then. I’m currently enrolled in an exchange student program. By studying abroad, I compromised myself to understand the wills, beliefs and desires of a culture different than mine. Now I understand what people who have different backgrounds and ways of life actually believe in. Let me tell you that they want the same exact things that you do. They also want peace and a change in the world. We all want to be happy and have a great future.

My commitment to the world is to study languages and then work towards a better understanding of countries in subjects like economics, politics, war, peace, and even education. I know the world is not going to change from a moment to another just because of the people who talk about it, including me. If we want a change, we have to work for it. We can always count on each other to make our lives easier and better.

For the rest of my life I compromise myself to do what I can, with what I have, where I am. I say this because I can make a difference, I have the desire to do it and even though I’m not going to be in America, I’ll be somewhere else doing what I believe in.