ryan - balwin, Missouri

Life comes with side effects

“Side affects are generally mild”, a quote that has become all to familiar in today’s society. Many times the side effects are worse than what the medicine is trying to cure. Nausea, muscle cramps, diarrhea, migraines, lose of memory where does the list end? But what inst advertised on billboards, commercials, or in magazines are the side effects that real life can cause a person, and if someone sat and thought about them you might take life by the horns, and live life for everyday and not look forward to tomorrow, for tomorrow is never a guarantee.

In general most people in today’s society worry about how they look, what others think of them, what is right and wrong, if their actions are socially correct, all this leads to little time for what’s most important in life, living it to the fullest. Only I and a hand full of people I know follow this to the max.

It was March 29, 2004, the day that changed my life for the good. I sat down in the Garden View nursing home in Owensville, Missouri watching my grandfather, the same one that loved his kids, family, and friends more than anything else in the world, rot away in his deathbed. I loved my grandpa very much, appreciating everything he accomplished in his life, raising three successful kids, had a image of helping out people in need, and even owning a business at one time, but at the end of everyday he would go to bed with over 10 hours of hard work under his belt, and not enough of things in life that make people happy. Sitting there watching his EKG machine go up and down, and listening to that utterly annoying noise, I wondered if it was all worth it, what was life really good for, we will all be in my grandfathers place one day. I just wondered when I die, if I will regret how I lived my life, wither I could of done something different to enjoy it more. From that day forward I cut all the crap out of my life, worrying about what others thinks about me, taking situations to seriously, and being a jerk to others, and started enjoying life for what it worth to me. Now over 3 years later I still follow this ideal, it has put a bigger perspective on life, one that wasn’t there before this, and one that will surely never go away.

Without using this idea to live by I don’t know what kind of person I would be today, but I know that it has changed my life for the good and I hope to spread it with my friends, family, and children, so they to can be truly happy.