Mollee - Ballwin, Missouri

Looking at myself in the mirror I see my long, layered, blonde hair and my hazel eyes. Brushing my hair, and I make sure the part is completely perfect and that my mascara is not too clumpy. All this effort for a party I was invited to. A party I didn’t even want to attend! “Oh Come on, Mollee! It is going to be off the hook!” said one of the hosts. I felt so pressured and dorky to say no, so I agreed to attend.

I believe that you should dance like no one is watching, just be yourself, don’t worry about what other people think about you. I used to never think like this. In middle school I was seriously stressed out about this. I let everything and everyone’s opinion judge who I was going to be that day. I always tried to look cute, tried to hang with the right crowd. It was stupid. I was never happy and felt so low. I wasn’t depressed; I was just trying to be someone I wasn’t. One time I pretended to like the same music as some people I thought were “cool.” I felt they wouldn’t accept me if I were different.

Finally this all changed last year. At homecoming actually, once again, I spent my whole Saturday getting all dolled up for something I was just going to sweat at anyway. When we got there the dance floor was basically empty. There were just a few people clumped in the corners. One of my favorite songs came on, but no one wanted to dance. I thought, “What the heck! This is ridiculous!” This got me thinking about my first dance recital when I was three. I was so scared, shy and I was afraid of the thousands of people. My dad told me, “Aw, my little dancing jazz, just go out there and dance like no one is watching you!” So, at homecoming I ran to the dance floor, not just the side of it, right in the middle, and said to myself “Mollee, just dance like no one is watching.” Everyone was stunned. I didn’t care anymore; I was having the most fun I’d had since seventh grade.

These last two years of high school I have grown so much. Whenever I feel I can’t be me, I tell myself, “ Just dance like no one is watching! Who cares?” I have been able to enjoy life and be with people who like me and my crazy but pleasant personality. Why waste time trying to be something your not? There are numerous things you could be doing than worrying about what other people think about you. “Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what people think you are” So everyday I try to just dance away…like no one is watching. This I believe.