Jessica - Killingworth, Connecticut
Themes: hope

I believe everyone is a hero. You may be born a hero or become one later on. I believe a hero is someone who went through many obstacles and overcame them, or died trying. Every day people are faced with many challenges that either threaten their life or others. I’m only 19 years old, so I can’t really say I’ve been through many difficult obstacles, but I have experienced a challenge. Years ago, I found out both my grandmothers were disgnosed with cancer. Along with my family, I was devastated. I had so many questions that I wanted answered: Why them? How is it so? What’s going to happen to them? How am I going to handle it? I only thought the worst, as if it was the only ending to this story. To make matters worse, my grandfather who was fighting a lengthy illness, died from emphysema. Everything was happening so fast and at the same time. My family didn’t know to handle all this and to make everything better for us children. I didn’t know what to do and try to live my life, seeing it is the most precious treasure. I would try to answer my own questions like, “This is only a challenge that will end with a happy ending for all of us”, or “It’s cancer, they have treatment now and everyone survives it.” Instead of becoming weak and having the situation control me, I thought positive or the bright side of things. I would always have a smile on my face and treated my grandmothers as if nothing was wrong with them. Infront of my grandmothers’ eyes, they started to see hope and faith. Seeing me adjust to their deadly state and still being able to live my life, why couldn’t they? After several trips to chemotherapy and radiation treatments, both my grandmothers survived the cancer. They thank me every time they see me, for showing them the way of hope. To me, I didn’t show them anything, but only gave a reason to keep believing. It’s not your typical comic book heroism, but I , along with many others, was faced with a challenge that questioned my beliefs. I believe everyone is their own kind of hero. If you weren’t born a hero, then later on you will be faced with the question if you want to be one.