Laura - Manchester, Missouri

In my life, so far, I have found that the key to happiness is to peruse your passion for something. It’s to want something so badly that you’ll do almost anything for it. A passion could be anything from reading books to traveling the world, as long as it makes you feel whole. My passion is dance.

When I dance everything else in my life literally disappears. The air seems to be more pure and I get the urge to throw everything I am feeling at the time into my movements. The 300 point project that I put off until the last minute suddenly is not due tomorrow. The chores I promised my mom I’d do are not an issue anymore. It is just me, my classmates, and a box of music. It is amazing how happy a little bit of music can make you. When I dance, I am able to tell a story and reveal who I am just by listening to the music that is playing.

You could dance everywhere and anywhere you want to, but nothing can beat the place where you learned all your steps. My studio is my happy place. It is the one place I know won’t judge me. It never criticizes my steps; it only helps me perfect them. My studio is the one who took me in, raised me, and will watch me leave.

The people I work with are the best I know of. They share my passion and love for dance and honestly, I have never seen bigger smiles then the ones I find in there. In order to keep these smiles, I have made it my unofficial mission to build passion in the lives of as many people as possible.

After dancing for so many years, I decided to teach other kids what I know. It is the best feeling when you see your students succeed because of what you taught them. In one case, a girl I taught a few years ago came up to me and told she wanted to be a dance teacher just like me. That made my stomach turn up side down. Not in a bad way, in the way you feel right before you go on a roller coaster. A kind of rush you can’t really put into words. What she said made me want to keep teaching and affecting other people while doing something I love.

Perusing your passion isn’t only beneficial for yourself. You could end up touching so many people’s lives and making sure they know it’s okay to reach for the stars. It’s a feeling of true bliss. It’s passion. This I believe.