Veronica - Ventura, California
Themes: death, injustice

The Funeral Home was full to its capacity. Everywhere I looked people were crammed, as some cried in despair. Death a word some people hate to hear but yet have experienced it within family and friends. I believe when a crime is committed justice should be made.

Sunday, January 15, 2006 seemed like another beautiful night but turned into shocking hours of darkness. The clock struck midnight; blaring sirens and blinding lights haunt every corner of that night. The commotion of what went on lingers over my mind forever. At that instant in time my mind went blank; I was scared, a feeling of fear gripped my heart. A person that I hold in high esteem would fade away from life only to bring death following in step.

The following morning my brother slipped into my room carefully striving not to upset me. He said, “Be strong.” I was trembling not knowing what words will try my emotions next, he said, “John has died.” I began to weep.

John was at the party for a local car club when he and his brother left to buy beer. Stepping into the wrong car John and Orlando were stabbed by two men in the chest. The car was exactly like theirs even the color the only difference was a cross did not hang from the front mirror of the car they entered. One of his family members picked John up and took him to the Ventura County Medical Center where John was pronounced dead. An autopsy confirmed John died of multiple stab wounds to the chest. Orlando was in intensive care, but by no means was he going to die; he survived the incident only to walk as a living testimony to his brother’s death.

All the authorities did was try to figure if the incident was due to gang relations.

Justice would have been finding the suspects and taking them to face their punishments. Justice would have been taking John’s case further into discussion and not just saying it was due to gang relations. Justice would have been the authorities fulfilling their responsibility to the community by capturing the men responsible.

Red roses, with scattered lit candles littered the pavement placed at the corner of Anthony Drive. John was in and out of trouble when he was younger, but at heart he was a good person. He had recently completed court appointed drug school and was working in construction to support his children. I will always remember John for who he was and what he stood for, not for his mistakes. Authorities up to this point have not found a suspect for his case. The men did not just take John’s life. Unknowingly they also left his daughter with cancer only leaving me with hatred for the injustice that was done, forever branding my heart. In hopeful expectance, I awaited the guilty to be convicted; I awaited justice to rise from the darkness of that night. But it never came. I believe when a crime is committed justice should be made. This I Believe.