Stuart - Ventura, California

I believe in standing up for what you believe in under any circumstance. This belief is one that takes much consideration because many people wouldn’t be able to accomplish this feat. To stand up for what you believe in doesn’t just mean correcting people, or saying what you think is right to a few people….

Standing up for what you believe in means much more than all that.

A great example of standing up for what you believe in can be seen in Iraq, though I don’t support what is going on there with the bombings and mass killings that are happening, I do agree with that fact that the insurgents are merely standing up for what they believe in. There culture doesn’t support the Western ideas that the U.S. is bringing in, so they are fighting against them because they believe in what they are doing, to me these people are heroes of their own cultures.

Standing up for what you believe in will never be something that is easy, and if it is then you aren’t actually doing it. For me, I am always trying to do this, even though I have to admit I don’t always when I should, I try to as much as a possible. Little things everyday, such as hanging out with someone that isn’t “in” at the time, or sticking up for people that are being picked on, and on occasion speaking out about what I see to be right.

I guess something that goes along with it is inspiration. When you see someone doing these types of acts, you feel in yourself that you need to also do similar acts, because otherwise no one will know what you truly believe. Inspiration from what people believe can be seen in Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who had a dream of black and white people being equal and this belief helped inspire racial revolutions in the U.S. and ultimately equality. When people stand up for what they believe in, things get changed.

However, standing up for what you believe isn’t always a good thing, back in World War II the Infamous, Adolph Hitler, started standing up for what he believed in. He honestly believed that there was a supreme race, and his belief system was so strong that he went on to slaughter millions and millions of people. He also fought a world war over his beliefs, demonstrating that sometimes standing up for what you believe in can go horribly wrong. If your beliefs clash with another person’s and you don’t permit anyone else to share their own beliefs then you aren’t standing up for what you believe in, you are merely just ignoring the beliefs of others.

In Summary, I believe in standing up for what you believe under any circumstance as long as it doesn’t smother the beliefs of others. Whether it means just speaking out or even having to fight for it, always stand up for what you believe in.