Amy - Rolla, Missouri
Themes: equality

The “In-Crowd”

“You’re such a loser!” These are the most common words ever spoken to me. No matter how hard I try to dodge them, I get hit- each time a little harder.

I was a dork- an outsider in our class. I tried and tried to get into the “in-crowd”- the popular kids- but each time, they’d push me away. Just because of who I was. Everything about me was average. My family, my friends, my house, my backyard, my bank account- all average. The “in-crowd” kids were from wealthy families because their parents were doctors or someone else with an extremely high paycheck. No matter how hard my friends and I tried, the “in-crowd” would dominate the class, leaving the rest to be ridiculed if they didn’t meet the standards. And I didn’t meet the standards.

That’s the way it is in the real world, too. If people aren’t exactly like society’s models, they’re excluded and laughed at. If they try to speak up, their voices are drowned out. People are put down because of their heritage, religion and beliefs, what they’re good at, and most of all, what they look like. Society has a habit of stereotyping. We have to realize that this is wrong, hurtful, and has to stop! People can’t help how tall they are, what they’re good at, where their families are from, or what they look like.

We need to understand that we are all made in the image and likeness of God. He created all of us for a reason. We need to realize that we are all God’s creatures and need to be treated equally.

God created both me and the “in-crowd”. So why are we treated differently? Why are people judged for who they are?

I believe that someday, stereotyping will be stopped and give us a way to a brighter future. I believe we are all created equal and need to be treated the same.