Danielle - Manchester, Missouri

It’s All Up To You

Have you ever been having a conversation with someone, and they’re complaining so much that you eventually tune them out and all you hear is “blah blah blah” while they ramble on? I know I have.

I believe it pays to stop complaining and take action. You will get what you want much quicker if you do things on your own, rather than talk about what you want to happen and wait for others to do it for you.

The biggest mistake that people make is blaming others for their mistakes and things that go wrong in their life. As John Wooden once said, “A man may make mistakes, but he isn’t a failure until he starts blaming someone else.”

I’m not saying I’m some kind of non-complaining super hero or anything, trust me. I can be just as bad as everyone else. Once, my sophomore year, I had a substitute teacher who didn’t get along with my mom, so of course, she didn’t like me. The next time I had English, my teacher gave me a detention because I had a bad report from the sub. I was furious! I knew I didn’t deserve it, so I went home and complained to my mom and begged her to call my counselor and get me out of it. Instead of bailing me out, she said no, because I needed to learn to fight my own battles. Also, when my lacrosse told me I made JV lacrosse, I went home and bawled my eyes out to my dad. I was one of the team’s goal leaders the previous year, and I just couldn’t understand why my coach would do that to me. It seemed so unfair. Guess what my dad told me? He told me to suck it up and stop complaining, and that it was all up to me. He said instead of blaming my coach, I needed to simply work harder, get better, and show her that she made a mistake. Poor me, right? Wrong. I did just that, and I was on Varsity the next day.

Take a look at television shows we watch these days. Reality TV is so popular, and all it is is people complaining to the world about their problems. People like Dr. Phil make a whole show about peoples’ problems, and they run to him for help instead of fixing them themselves! This just eggs people on and makes them think it’s okay to expect other people to solve their problems for them. Just look at me right now! I’m complaining about other people complaining!

Whenever I want to complain, I think twice. I try and solve things on my own. I believe that it makes you a stronger person. Just remember, no one can live your life for you.