Kelsey - Ballwin, Missouri

The Belief to Overcoming Obstacles

Standing at the end of the line, waiting for my turn to go. I’m trembling in my shoes awaiting my fait. The only thing I hear is people cheering her on as she walks out onto the mat. So poised she leans into her tumbling pass, flipping and tumbling effortlessly. So graceful, like there is no doubt in her mind.

Believe: the key word to overcoming your obstacles. It’s the word I hear most, coming from my cheer coach, “If you don’t believe in yourself, then you won’t have anyone else who will believe for you.” This is the word I turn to in time of worry and fear. Believe.

I watch the girl in front of me do her pass. Waiting, my stomach lurches, doing some of its own kind of tumbling. This time it’s not simple butterflies its raging bats! Wow, it’s my turn now. I see my coach at the opposite side of the mat waiting for me to go. I think to myself how can I compare myself to that other girl? What if I fall? Will I be able to do it again?

Ok, I have to go now I think to myself. Up, set, and pull, up, set, and pull. Repeating in the back of my mind. I tell myself that I believe in myself enough to do this. Just believe, just believe. My coach is yelling at me from across the mat, telling me to go that I can do this.

Finally, I take a deep breath and think one more time up, set, and pull. Starting with my right foot, my left following close behind. I set my hands on the mat. Ok though my cartwheel now here comes the back handspring, ok now I go up, then I set, then I pull.

I feel the mat under my feet. Did I really just land that? Wow I really did it.

Overcoming my fear of tumbling is a huge deal for me. It took me almost three years to do this pass. And finally I did it. Overcoming obstacles is a very hard thing to do especially if in previous times you have either hurt someone else or even yourself. Getting up and doing it again takes a lot of courage. This also works in help for some school things. If you think that you’re going to fail a test then you probably will; but if you think you can do it and take your time, you will do the best you can. Always believe in yourself even through the hardest of times. It will give you a boost of confidence, and give you higher hops. This I believe.