Morgan - Des Peres, Missouri
Themes: hope

I have these dreams that occur every now and then. I usually wake up and realize that everything that I dreamt definitely never happened.  I run outside, and to my surprise, there’s no BMW, and I’m still a part of a middle class family.  My house is still the same, no elevators and no maids. I get dressed and head off to school but my mind is still roaming.  I have all these goals that are achieved in my dreams, but I seem to lose touch with them when I snap back to reality.  I have the same dream many Americans do.  I want to be successful and I want my parents to be proud.  I also want to get into a good college.

I believe in dreams.  I believe that if you try you can accomplish them.  Yes, it’s pretty cliché but there’s a twist.  I believe that everyone has a chance at life, but less than fifty percent of people work to their full potential.  For example at my school I see people out of not knowing where they’re going. I hear of their struggle later with their parents because the grades aren’t up to par.  I observe this struggle in my own life as well.  I believe that one day I will realize that there is not a set way of life and that the American Dream has corrupted us all.  I consistently ask myself…what is the American Dream and why am I so obsessed with it?  Well I guess I can thank the media, Great Gatsby, and parents for that.  In the book The Great Gatsby, Gatsby tries to find happiness in being rich just so he can get the girl.  I believe that there are so many choices but nobody always makes the right one. 

In school, some friends yell, “Morgan!  Let’s leave c’mon.”  I contemplate for a minute or so and then before you know it were dashing out to our cars to go out to eat or for a trip to Castlewood State Park.  I find myself and others making the same decisions about certain things they know they shouldn’t be doing. The feeling when you’re doing something risky is indescribable.  This is the setback in my dreams.  The quote, “A little effort everyday keeps failure away”, helps me to not give up.  Our dreams don’t give us the steps that lead to success; we have to figure them out ourselves.  That’s the real challenge. 

While I’m walking back into school I slowly snap back to reality.  School is still in session, I drive a Toyota Camry, and I still live in a middle class home.  I love it. It feels so good to know that I can always rely on the simple things in life.  I’ll leave the big things up to my dreams.  Maybe that BMW will really be in my driveway one day.  I believe in dreams.