Krystle - Ballwin, Missouri
Themes: carpe diem

Live Like You Were Dying

There was one point in my life where I felt like there was absolutely no point to living. It was the summer after eight grade and I had just gotten home from an amazing chance to go to Australia without my parents. My parents were fighting, my cousins had run away from their home multiple times, and their mom, my aunt, had just committed suicide. I had gone from being on top of the world into a pit of despair. My parents had been fighting for a while and I had a depression problem for a few years. But one day, I was brooding while driving and I came across a song on the radio that lifted my dark mood. I had sort of been tuning the radio out, but what caught my attention was a section of the chorus, “Someday I hope you get the chance to live like you were dying.” It managed to penetrate my dark thoughts and forced me to realize that as long as I’m here, I should try and live, not exist. I had been going through the motions of living but not really enjoying any of it, just waiting for it all to end. Ever since then, I have tried to fill my life with as much as I could, while enjoying it all.

A year later, I was sitting in math class, despising it. I wasn’t paying attention and started reading all the posters on the walls and one caught my eye. “Life isn’t measured by the number of breaths you take, but the number of moments that take your breath away.” It instantly reminded me of that not-so-long ago day where I had heard the song Live Like You Were Dying by Tim McGraw. The new quote re-established my belief that life should be enjoyed and lived to the fullest. I had fallen back into the habit of existing, letting another bout of bad circumstances get me down.

I had been doing my best to live as fully as possible since that point and had been succeeding; I was enjoying life. This year, we were doing research for and English project and I stumbled across another quote that reaffirmed my belief in enjoying life. “Everyone is dying all the time. Everyone is also living all the time. It’s all in your perspective which one you’re experiencing. Choose wisely.” I was joking with my friends when I read the quote. I instantly shared it with them because I had to do what the quote was telling me to do – live.

I know that it is hard to live every second of every day, to make every second happy. Everyone experiences bad times. I have. The key to life is to not let those bad times keep you down and remember that they are a part of living as well. While we may hate those moments of depression and despair, they help us live. And I believe life is to be lived.