Alicia - Manchester, Missouri

Planting Seeds

When I was little, my grandpa and I used to work on his vegetable garden all the time. We would water the garden, and do typical garden maintenance, but my favorite part of gardening with him was always planting new seeds. I loved planting seeds because they would always grow into something big and beautiful. I would always ask him, “Grampy, how do you get them to grow so big?” and he’d always tell me that if you just “plant it deep, it’s sure to keep”. Now, nine years later, this has become a philosophy I live by.

Planting seeds applies not only to gardening, but also many other aspects of life. Like the old saying goes “you reap what you sow”. Many of the things I do today are not necessarily because I like to, but because I know it will benefit me later on. Like, taking college-prep courses and the ACT, those are things I do so that I can get into a great college and have a fruitful future. Also, I can look back and be satisfied with my preparation.

Seeds, used metaphorically can be planted in many different ways, like through actions. I have learned from experience that simple acts of kindness can affect others state of mind, particularly in the relationships between strangers. I can remember this one time last year when I was having a really bad day, my boyfriend and I were in the middle of a huge fight, all my clothes were in the dirty laundry so I had nothing to wear, and to top it all off my car was out of gas. After filling my tank I walked into the gas station in my baggy shorts and messy hair and as I’m paying I find I’m ten dollars short. The woman at the cashier counter looked up at me and smiled as she said, “Don’t worry about it sweetie, you look like you’ve had a rough day. I hope this makes you feel better” and with that she took ten dollars out of her own pocket and paid for the rest of my gas. I was shocked! I said “Thank you” and went to my car, suddenly all the stress had been lifted off shoulders. That day in the gas station I experienced true kindness, and for the rest of that day I was in a great mood.

So you see seeds can apply to almost anything. Seeds are what run our lives; we plant seeds today for a better tomorrow. Planting seeds is not just important for the individual, but also for the success of humanity. If I could plant a good seed in every person I meet, I would fulfill the message my grandfather was trying to convey so long ago. Planting seeds is not just a beautiful gesture, it’s a necessary one. As long as I remember this philosophy I know I will go far in life, because if you “plant it deep, it’s sure to keep”.