Amanda - Ballwin, Missouri
Themes: children

Have you ever wondered why the younger you are the louder you are? Alternatively, the smaller you are the more energy you have? On the other hand, the more candy you have the more you enjoy it? Or no matter how many times you have PB&J you never grow tired of it? Innocence is happiness.

I realized this just by watching my 5-year-old brother, Michael, and his friends hanging out on the swing set in the backyard. Watching them argue over who got the yellow swing and not wanting the blue swing. Then they mover on to the sand box, then it was who got the biggest tractor.

My brother is the one that made me a believer. I know that Michael believes with all of his little heart that since he is smaller than everybody else in the family, he gets special attention. When we talk to him, we tell him the positive things like, “What’s new on Sesame Street?”, or “Mommy bought new cookies at the store today!!” Rather than what is going on in our busy, troubled world like “The stock market isn’t doing well” or “traffic was horrible during lunch hour today.”

He would not know what to think about our problems. His only consist of not being last in line to get the last of the favorite cereal in the morning. Also making sure our dog Baxter does not attack him with “morning kisses.” In addition, keeping tract of Superman, Batman, megamanX, and other action figures requires focus and diligence.

Being innocent is not ignoring the problems in life, it’s acknowledging that they are there, but keeping your hand clean and letting yourself remember the things that make you happy in the first place. I believe that you don’t have to be young to understand this. You just have to remember to be content with eating the PB&J everyday, screaming loud, and always having the good cereal in life.