Patrick - Des Peres, Missouri

Be Nice, This I Believe

I believe people have become meaner and more stressed out than ever before. Since when did the world become such a hateful place? People freak out over the littlest things because they are pushed to the edge by their stress-filled lives. Living a stress-free, relaxed life leads to a happier life. Be nice! This is my belief.

Someone once said, “Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle of their own” (anonymous). I couldn’t agree more. People are mean to strangers or people they don’t know for no reason. What happened to that neighborly feeling you got from doing something nice for someone you didn’t know once in a while? What if the person you are mean to is going through a traumatic experience? For example, let’s say they had just lost a loved one. Wouldn’t you feel bad? Something very similar to this happened to me once. There was a boy who sat next to me in English class in high school and everyday he would annoy the hell out of me. After a while I got so fed up with it I yelled at him and said some things I shouldn’t have said. A few months later, he committed suicide. As soon as I heard I felt so bad and I would have done anything to take back the hurtful things I said to him, but I couldn’t. It was too late, he was gone. I can only learn from my mistake and try to be considerate of what others are going through, no matter who they are or what you think of them.

I think that the reason people have become so mean is because they are so edgy thanks to their stressful jobs. This is because of how technologically dependant the world has become. What happened to sitting down to dinner with your family for a nice meal without being interrupted by the ring of a cell phone? It seems that people are always on either their cell phones or their laptops. Instead of socializing and communicating with others, people hide behind their phones and computers when they could be reaching out to someone in need. This is a big problem in my family. My dad comes home from work all stressed out and then his phone rings off the hook. What about family? Isn’t that more important? It was once said, “I’ve learned that everyday you should reach out and touch someone. People love that human touch-holding hands, a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back” (anonymous). This is so true. The world would be such a better place if everyday we reached out to someone we didn’t know. So I say, be nice…because you never know what someone is going through. This, I believe.