gregor - ballwin, Missouri
Themes: work

What do I believe? Well this I believe! I believe that it is not a bad thing to work hard or go the extra mile, that success is the opposite of laziness; this is what I believe. In our society today some believe that success has become unreachable but, it really is a problem of society not wanting to succeed.

This belief of mine has always been important to me, but recently I realized that the more people who believe this way, the better the world will be. This obsession with no laziness has been a recent development in my life. I was out camping last winter and I was pouring hot chocolate and my friend asked me if I had any more cups, I proceeded to inquire about the one that he had just used. He responded that it was in his chair which was too far away for him to walk and get it. At first, I thought well that’s his problem and it was. This then made me realize that our environment is full of people who believe in laziness. I have noticed that on both the sports teams I am on that as soon as someone can leave or get out of something they will leave or hide to avoid a small trivial amount of work. I can remember a lot of wrestling matches were everyone was supposed to stay and help and it was always the same nine or ten people that were moving the mats.

I will be the first to admit that I don’t always want to work hard; however, it is necessary for us to try our best and not be afraid of hard work. A good example from my life is how I obtained my Eagle Scout Award. It took me 6 plus years to earn but I am glad I did. Originally I was the definition of the term lazy. However I eventually decided that I was going to finish what I started, I wanted to be an Eagle Scout. Then I did it, but I just didn’t do the minimum to get by. I took the extra step, I worked as hard as I could and was always willing to go the extra mile. I could have done a simple park bench or bird feeder for my Eagle Scout Project, instead I wanted to challenge myself so, I designed and built a foot bridge for a trail.

I am not sure when I formed this belief, but it is some thing that I am very proud of. “Two roads diverged in a yellow wood I took the one least traveled and that has made all the difference” (Robert Frost). This quote really describes the affect this belief has had on me. Don’t be afraid to go the extra step and try hardm, this I believe.