Jessica - Ballwin, Missouri

This I believe

The other day I sat pondering the topics I could write about for the This I Believe essay my teacher assigned us. I went back and forth for several minutes and then it hit me. All the great lessons I was taught in my life, were instilled by my mother. She was the first voice I heard when I came out of the womb and one of the most important throughout my life. This is why I believe all great lessons in life, comes from mothers.

Age one; mom was showing me how to walk. “Come on Jessers, you can do it”, she praised. Of course like any clumsy child I fell. My disasterly attempts didn’t discourage mom, for she kept pushing, grasping my hands and leading me across the floor. Finally, I caught on. Even at this young age, mom taught me it doesn’t matter how many times you fall along your journey, keep pursuing and you’ll achieve it. The bumps along the rode aren’t the important thing; the end result is what matters.

Age nine; I sit cradled in mothers lap balling my eyes out. A river of tears strolls down my face like a never ending flood. I’ve just spotted the new For Sale sign in my neighbors yard. A dark cloud comes over me. For the last five years, the neighbor boy has been my best friend. We watched Power Rangers together, ran away for the first time together, and spent countless hours chasing the ice cream man together. As I struggle to catch my breath mom says, “Jessica calm down. This is something you’ll experience your whole life. People come and go, often without warning.” Although I didn’t catch on at the time, mom was teaching me a vital lesson; people walk in and out of our lives everyday and we don’t need to forget them or the times we spent together, we just need to realize their roles changed.

Age fifteen; “My friends hate me”, I said coming through the door stomping my feet. Mom grabbed me. I explained to her the story and she said, “Jessica don’t let this bother you. Nothing stays the same forever. Today your friends might not be so great but tomorrow it’ll change. Nobody stays mad indefinitely.” This sound advice has helped me deal with turmoil with friends and bad days.

Today I sat and thought about the person I’ve become. I thought about my beliefs and values. They all reflect upon my mom’s teachings. Keep going and never give up, don’t let people get the best of you, and don’t spend your time worrying about the things in life you have no control over, just to name a few. I owe all my success to her; for she is the one whose words kept me going even when the going was rough. She molded me into the person I am today. All great lessons in life are taught by mothers; this I believe.