Emily - Wichita, Kansas

Forgive and Forget

Throughout high school, I have learned many things. Most importantly I have realized it is better to forgive people than to hold grudges. At the beginning of high school my best friend and I were inseparable. We did everything together. It was the best time of my life because I had never had a friend that I was so close to. We played golf and ran track together. We also had boyfriends that were in the same grade, which meant we spent every weekend together too. She practically lived at my house, and my family was her family. At the end of my junior year my friend did something that really upset me. I thought I would never forgive her. I was so mad that I did not talk to her for the rest of the year, and the entire summer. This completely ruined our relationship and now I regret that I did not forgiving her earlier.

This experience with my friend has taught me that it is not worth holding a grudge. It took more effort to be mad at her than it would have taken to forgive her. A year later we are finally starting to talk again, but things will never be the same between us. If I had been more mature about the situation, this would not have been such a big deal, and we would still be best friends. Forgiving people is extremely important. After I finally forgave my friend I was much happier inside. I no longer was worried about all the things she did that had upset me. Now looking back I wish I were able to forgive and forget a lot earlier than I did. After I forgave her, it was a huge relief and my life became much happier and positive.

I also feel that it is very important to be as positive as possible to have a fruitful life. If a person is positive, their life will be much more enjoyable. Having a good outlook on life makes it easier to succeed. Although this was not a positive experience, it has taught me many things about life. I have learned that no matter how hard it may seem, people always need to forgive others.