Shelby - Old Forge, Pennsylvania
Themes: hope

You may falter under the weight of the present, but always believe there will be a tomorrow. It is the day that never ceases to follow the present one, and it carries with it endless possibilities. Tomorrow will always be there. Even if you think that today is torturous and never-ending, logically, if you hold out long enough, tomorrow will arrive. I believe in tomorrow; I believe in its reliability, creative promise, and therapeutic healing capabilities. In the complex and crazy society in which we live, we need tomorrow.

Tomorrow is not a place. Although some people beg to differ, you can never really live in tomorrow. It is not even really a time because it hasn’t happened yet. It is one of the most puzzling abstract concepts being that we can never experience it. Once we come close, it turns into today and we’ve lost it. It is not a lifestyle nor is it a choice. You can try to live for tomorrow, but most often, you’re left to focus on the present. Similarly, you cannot choose tomorrow because it never goes away. It is always just around the corner or way off in the distance, whatever the case may be.

What makes tomorrow such an important asset to society is its stability and inflexibility. Like I stated previously, there will always be a tomorrow. Unless you die today — and no one wants to think about dying — you can always count on tomorrow. Everything moves so fast in this world in which we live. People, places, and whole situations have the ability to change in a second. Nothing seems permanent. The decisions you make today will greatly affect what happens tomorrow, and tomorrow will always be there to hold those decisions and bear their joys or disasters. No matter what, tomorrow remains. It is abstract yet concrete and unmoving. It is the one true absolute in a hectic and fast-paced world.

What may be even more important than that is that tomorrow allows us to dream. It lets us unleash our creative side and plan for the future. Where would we be without our dreams? Without creativity and a dream, how could Thomas Edison have invented the light bulb? How could Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. ever find the courage to fight for civil rights without first having a dream? These people and others, decided to look into the future. They saw a better tomorrow, and they chose to work and fight to make it a reality. Tomorrow is the key to any idea, for it gives you the time to reach your goal.

Finally, tomorrow is a healer. It may not work as fast as we’d like, but it is the only truly effective cure for a really bad day, and we all have those. It may not be a time, but to us, it represents time, and time is the only thing that can cure such pervasive ailments as a ‘case of the Mondays’ or ‘my dog ate my shoes-itis”. It is the Band Aid we apply to assuage the hurts of today. If your boyfriend breaks up with you over MySpace on the same day that your cat dies and you spill Starbucks all over your new shirt, you always have tomorrow to take him off your Top 8, mourn the loss of your fluffy friend, and dry clean the shirt.

Tomorrow puts things into perspective. The confines and problems of today don’t seem nearly as suffocating, and the potential for the future is unlimited. I’ll say it again: there will always be a tomorrow. This I believe.