Lhea - Urbana, Illinois

As much as I believe that this world is filled with a beauty that should be revered and appreciated

And as much as I believe in the power of happiness right here and right now

And as much as I believe that people can be both good and honorable making this world a delightful place

I believe in Heaven.

It is when my fish died over spring break and I came back to my sweet love floating in one of my tank contraptions, that I knew, I must believe in Heaven. Because in Heaven, there is a place where all fish type creatures go!

It is when my best friend called, telling me of a crush that seemed to be moving no where after many months, that I knew, I must believe in Heaven. Because in Heaven, everyone can have love.

It is when I ran for student elections and personally saw numbers of people become unconcerned with the well-being of each other because they wanted to be elected, that I knew, I must believe in Heaven. Because in Heaven, everyone is much more concerned with the welfare of others, then a focus on direct competition for power gains.

It is when I heard people of great fame and fortune and possessors of great influence on the American public reinforcing racial stereotypes, that I knew, I must believe in Heaven. Because in Heaven, there is no prejudice, no racism, no inequalities, and no huge disparities that create glaring divides between the people.

It is when the weather took a grievous turn and ultimately killed over 2,000 people while the country lived in complete confusion and unrest, that I knew, I must believe in Heaven. Because in Heaven, the weather for all eternity is wonderful. And the government type system is well organized and in a well-known hierarchy with specific plans laid out just in case of emergency!

It is when one student took 32 lives and left many more wounded, that I knew, I must believe in Heaven. Because in Heaven, there is absolutely no death, and no hate and no loneliness to provoke such incidents – there is only happiness, reverence, and joy for all!

It is when I woke up one Sunday morning to teary eyes and broken hearts and the jumbled words, “it was so unexpected … nobody prepared for her death … they rushed her to the hospital … they took her in, but she died already … we can’t believe this happened… your Mom died this morning.” That I knew, I must believe in Heaven. Because in Heaven, I believe, we’ll see our loved ones, we’ll have love, we’ll tend to the welfare of others, we’ll all be equal, we’ll know the hierarchy, and we’ll have undeniable, unforgettable, unbelievable happiness.