Danielle - Boulder, Colorado

This I Believe….

I believe in never giving up. When I was four, my dad got into a bad car accident. He received brain damage, a torn shoulder, ripped knees, broken vertebrae and more. After looking him over, the doctors told my family and I that he would never again work, drive, play sports, or do pretty much anything that might physically strain him. They also told us that he would be put on disability as soon as possible.

After the accident, my life would never be the same. My dad had brain damage. He had a hard time sleeping at night, so he would pace in our kitchen. I would go to get a drink of water and watch him walk back and forth. He also had a hard time remembering things that seemed very simple to me, like my name and our phone number. My dad went through many surgeries filled with stitches and ice packs. You could see in his eyes that he was experiencing more pain than anyone could ever imagine. He is the most stubborn person I know, so disability wasn’t exactly on his top ten list of things to do in life. To him signing the disability papers meant that he was willing to give up. He refused to give up because then he would be living a life that he did not want. He wanted to be able to play with my brother and me. Go on hikes with his friends. Live every day to the fullest. So instead he ripped them up. He went through years of physical therapy and regaining memory. It was a hard job, but he pulled through.

By the time I was ten he was riding his bike to work every day. He is a woodworker, so running the machines was a challenge, but he believed in never giving up. Over the years my family has been through a lot. My dad is incredibly strong and has inspired me to be the person that I am today. Someone who never gives up. After the accident my dad was told by many that his future would be filled with days on the couch, The Price is Right, and bon-bons. Yet six years after his accident he began working again and continuing on with his normal day-to-day activities. He has to work harder to accomplish these various tasks, but he always keeps going. This is why I believe in never giving up. My dad has shown me that even when life sinks to what seems to be rock bottom; you can always bring it back up. My dad still to this day deals with an enormous amount of pain, and yet he never gives up. So I believe in never giving up. He has taught me this value in life and I know that it will never fade away.