Susan - ballwin, Missouri
Themes: family, gratitude

Each Day is a Miracle

“Open your heart to believing the impossible and your eyes to seeing everything. Miracles are scattered around like flowers about to bloom.” I believe this statement with all my heart. Coming from a big family isn’t what you’d call easy by any means. There are mornings when my sister breaks my bronzer, my little brothers “accidentally” spill milk on my shirt, or my oldest brother takes a hot shower leaving the bathroom too humid to fix my hair, but when I leave each day I can’t help but to smile and give thanks for all of them.

Jake is my rock star. Being 7 years old, born missing a bone is his leg and having had five surgeries up to today, definitely qualifies him as a hero. He’s so brave though. The day he went back to school after having his surgery he was more nervous about rejection than I’d ever seen him. I came home after school and he looked so sad. My heart sank and when I asked him what happened he said, “We had meatloaf for lunch.”

Wil is my four year old ball of fire. I don’t know anyone who loves learning and school more than that kid. The most astonishing thing about him is the fact that he was born with severe learning disabilities and can barely speak. The most special thing about him is the way that every night before he goes to sleep he runs up, and in broken speech whispers in my ear, “I love you more than everything Sissy.”

Zach is fifteen, and definitely the coolest teenage boy I know. He’s actually my step-brother and I’ve known him for two years now. Being thrown into a house of girls was like being thrown into a lions den, but I guess he came with food. He’s the only guy I know who would rather stay home with my sister and I to watch Titanic than go out with friends on a Friday and I really think that makes him so much cooler.

Finally, my sister. Kayla, also 15, is my best friend in the world. Of course there are times when I want to strangle her, like when she steals clothes and shoes, but I can never actually bring myself to do it. There are too many good things about her. Kayla’s the only 15 year old who has to sleep with her big sissy when a bug is in her room or who will watch Superstar with me everyday and never get tired of it.

My siblings are my miracles. Each new thing they tell me, every tear that soaks into my shoulder, each hug, kiss, and smile are worth more than a million dollars to me. They are my life, my breath that keeps me going each day. “Open your heart to believing the impossible and your eyes to seeing everything. Miracles are scattered around like flowers about to bloom.” They are my miracles. This I believe.