Christine - Golden, Colorado
Themes: love

Quest for Ultimate True Love

A pang as sharp and sudden as cool crystal snowflakes hits my skin in a white blizzard, piercing into my heart leaving scars, causing deep suffering and pain. These scars leave reminders of what damage this invisible predator has done to my gentle heart. This invisible predator is love, only found by those who are willing to give their heart to the world to be loved and hated, broken and mended.

Like humans each type of love is one of a kind, but all of them being of the same “species”. Family love, friend love, first love- all loves but all different. But no other love but family love has caused me so much pain and suffering but at the same time so much joy. I was a confused age of twelve (almost thirteen) when the snowflakes hit me so hard they didn’t just create scars, they created raw wounds never to heal fully. It was a cold night on a plane when I saw my mother’s tears stream down her face, and seeing that it was almost as if I felt her pain. Considering this, my mind questioned why something as beautiful as love would allow for this much hurt and if loving was worth the pain felt because of it. But had it not been for my love for her, suffering and pain would’ve brushed over me more lightly like a soft wind, with some feeling but too little to make an impact.

Fully understanding family love, and seeing true colors of people finding friend love, I found first love, awkwardly and unexpected: as first love should be. And although I have much to fear with first love I will lay my heart out. But because I took the chance of possibly sacrificing my heart, I found first love.

Love is a complex emotion given to us just as fear was. But why is it that fear seems so easy to experience, but love isn’t? Perhaps it is because love, like a coral reef takes years to grow into a beautiful thing, and maybe along the way getting wiped away while fear is like the blink of eye, inevitable and occurring often. Although these two emotions seem so different without each other they would not exist. Because in love there is fear of getting hurt and in fear there is a love to overcome it.

I believe that fear, suffering and pain do seem like the strongest emotions at times but in the end it is love that conquers all only to rise up and prove to be the strongest feeling, emotion and even lifestyle to ever exist, and those who do not know this will never get to experience love at its fullest. I believe that for love to be felt in the deepest of ways one must learn to face the invisible predator and all of its tricks and overcome it, leading to something better than love: ultimate true love.