Sidney - Katy, Texas

I Believe in Prayer

I believe in prayer. I believe that God listens, and he will answer. I believe that needs are taken care of if you ask for a little help. I also believe that once God hands you something in life, you have to deal with it.

I had been debating on whether or not to join cross country for weeks. The thought of going out and running two miles in thirteen minutes was not at all pleasant to me, but I needed something to push me. All of my cross country friends had been begging me to join, and all of my soccer friends had been telling me that it was a bad idea. One day, while driving home from a friend’s house, I began to pray. I asked God for a sign—some way to know whether or not I was meant to do cross country. Less than ten seconds later, the headlights of the car shined on a street sign that said, “The Way.” I looked to the sky and thought, “Thank you.” However, in the pit of my stomach, I already was feeling queasy.

I joined cross country this year because I knew it what God wanted me to do. I woke up in the morning at five o’clock every day to go to school and run. I ran at least five miles every morning. Once completely drenched in sweat, I hit the showers and got ready for a long day at school. Needless to say, it was not my favorite thing to do with my morning.

Once at the meets, however, it was a totally different story. I was sick to my stomach at the thought of running. Once I got tired, I still had a mile and a half left to finish. I ran with varsity, which meant that everybody I ran with was extremely fast. It was hard for me to keep up. I hated every minute of running, except for the moment that I crossed the finish line. But I had to be a team player.

This year, at the district meet, I was more nervous than ever. I knew that everyone was going to come out with their best, and the thought of pushing myself to the point of exhaustion frightened me. But my team needed me. From the moment I heard the gun, I felt this huge wave of adrenaline rush through me. I didn’t run as hard as I could, but over the next thirteen and a half minutes, I ran hard enough. I finished fifth on my team and beat a few key runners from Morton Ranch. After the race, my coach told me that I had broken the tie for second place and allowed our team to advance to the regional meet. The whole team formed a group hug and jumped up and down, congratulating me. I looked to the sky and thought, “My prayers were answered.”