Logan - Littleton, Colorado

Life and Death

Life and death are two very different things. Yet, one could argue that they are the same thing. From this argument I have come up with my own definition. Life is an opposite parallel to death.

The liver, a large purpley colored organ that is not a huge hit on the dinner menu. It keeps you alive yet it has the potential to kill you. My dad says I should be careful with my liver but I never am. He always tells me that I need to stay hydrated, especially before a protein shake, but I rarely do. He tells me that it will quit or “shut down” on me if I do not treat it correctly. But I don’t understand this… Does my liver have feelings just like any concuss human? Or perhaps my brain will just decide to shut it off one day. But that’s not the point. My daddy says that I need to be careful with my liver because our family is very bad at taking care of our livers.

My mommy was bad at this. Daddy always told her to get some help, but she never did. All she ever did was abuse that old, tired liver. That liver worked so hard to keep her with us. All that work for nothing. She took herself away from the rest of her family. If only she had known about how important her liver was. Maybe she would have approached life differently. Maybe she would have never started abusing that, liver. Only if my mother, 2nd aunt, grandfather, two uncles, and great grandfather would’ve known how important their livers were.

But now I know how important our livers our. That ugly, purple, large, hazardous, organ. I hate that organ but I respect it too. I know to treat it well. I know to drink for fun, not to solve my problems. I know to make sure that I am hydrated before I drink that protein shake. I know all of these things, the question is whether r not I will apply them… The liver is a building block for life but without it becomes the missing key piece that makes the structure fall. This is why I believe you should take care of your liver.