Grant - Denver, Colorado

An Eye for an Eye Makes the Whole World Blind

When people have something unjust done to them, say someone says something mean about the way they look, embarrasses them, or even hurts them physically many of them will have a desire for revenge. Even people who know it’s wrong may want it as well. I know that this has been the case for me in the past. There have been multiple times I’ve wanted revenge when I ignored the fact that it was wrong, but in the end what will be gained from your wanting to get “even”? There could be more trouble that follows from your actions and then no one is happy. All you have really proven is that you’re just like the person who did something hurtful to you in the first place. I believe that getting true hurtful revenge on someone is not right and that nothing good is achieved from it.

Many of my own experiences have taught me this and now that I look back on some of them, I know that I could’ve handled them differently. When I was in sixth grade for my birthday I had some friends over to spend the night watching movies and to have rubber band gun wars. In the morning I woke up to the sting of my friends shooting me with rubber bands but I was still too tired to get up. After a while I got sick of being shot so I decided to get up anyway, tired, mad, and wanting revenge. I ended up getting tackled and then picking up my friends and throwing them on the floor; then everything just had to stop. I was upset and so were my friends; I didn’t feel any satisfaction from trying to get revenge on them. It came down to my friends not being fair and ganging up on me but in return I was no better for almost hurting them badly. Luckily my birthday ended well.

Though there were times where I felt like I could’ve handled better where I wanted revenge, I have had times where I know things were better when I reframed from that feeling. In my 8th grade year I had been late to my Spanish class, which was in the mornings some days of the week. One morning my whole class bet on what time I would come in. This of course made me extremely mad because they could not let it go it seemed. Though I wanted revenge I knew it wouldn’t get me anywhere so I just told myself to let it go. Though I think that it was wrong, I think that it wouldn’t have been right to treat wrong with wrong either.

If you feel like someone has done wrong to you then don’t treat wrong with wrong as the old kingdom proverb says, “Revenge is a dish best served cold”. For me confronting the person and forgiving them is more gratifying than getting revenge. If you can bare the power to forgive then this will make you forever prosperous over the peoples who do you wrong and that way you can show them what’s right. This I believe: an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.