Mike - Canfiled, Ohio

It was around 7th grade when I became interested in music. There were so many instruments I could have learned, but lets face, it’s every teenagers dream to play guitar and become a big rock star. You get to play soaring solos that fill concert halls and while fans scream your name. But that wasn’t me; I wanted to play the bass guitar.

To me the most difficult part of playing bass is dedication. It takes a lot of time and a lot of practice. Being dedicated equals the amount of talent or success you will have. This is why I believe playing bass is difficult and not as easy as people think.

Ok, there is no question that it is harder to impress someone while just playing the bass than guitar. Unlike guitar players, you can’t start playing songs you hear off the radio, people will not recognized them and also people are not going to want to hear a bass player try to play as many notes as quick as they possible could. Playing bass asks for more. It takes the right placement and choice of notes, and the ability to feel and then express what you have felt.

Now let’s talk about what you need in order to become a bass player. First of all you need to understand how to play the bass. I refer bass playing as a language. The only difference is The English alphabet has 26 letters and the language of bass only has 12. But still it’s a language; no one ever set rules on what a language needs to be. It has grammar, words and even pronunciation. Now I know you might be thinking I’m crazy but really it does. In bass playing the grammar is the placement of the notes, the words are the notes and the pronunciation is the rhythm and how you express what you are playing.

Next it is important that all bass players have rhythm. Having rhythm is important to bass playing; not having rhythm makes it very hard to fit. The reason why is the bass player is a member of the rhythm section, the backbone of the band. Guitar players sound very weak without the bass player which provides a depth to the song. In example while listening to your favorite song on the radio you notice the music start to get softer. The music gets so soft you know that it has to go some where. All of a sudden the music starts to build with excitement and it’s about to break. Finally it breaks open and sounds like an explosion of bass, drums, and guitar. This is used a lot in music today, its add dimension to the song. But to be honest with you without the bass this buildup would not be as powerful.

Now you know why I wanted to play bass, because it’s different then most instruments. It’s not just an instrument you can play but an instrument you can feel as well. But like I have said in the beginning become a talented bass player isn’t easy. It takes dedication, time and practice. This is the reason why most people don’t stick with bass.

So unlike my friends who play guitar I don’t have many screaming fans. My fans are the people who really understand music and realize the talent it takes to become a great bass player. If I would go back to 7th grade I would definitely pick bass again. It was a great choice and I’m proud to be a bass player.