Lindsay - Scio, Ohio
Themes: setbacks, work

The Illusion of Perfection

I believe in a lot of things from god to fairy tales being real. The one thing however, I think everyone should think about is perfection. Is it real or is it just an illusion. In fairy tales they always end with happily ever after. I don’t think however perfect is real. Nothing is or can be perfect, everyone can think of something as perfect, but the truth of the matter is there is a flaw somewhere.

When you spend and hour watching a fairy tale movies like Snow White, Cinderella, or Sleeping Beauty, when you get to the end of the movie they say. “And the Prince and so and so lived happily ever after.” Sounds perfect right, only you do not see is what happens after twenty years of marriage. No one can get along perfectly for twenty years with out one fight, if they do the must not talk to much. What should be said at the end of every fairy tale movie is “Even though they had there difference in opinions ever now and again, the lived as happily as two people could.” Now, “Happily ever after” is more appealing which is why it is said. As human beings, we have a hard time realizing that nothing can go as we plan. Why do you think that the divorce rate is so high? It is because two people have what they think is a perfect relationship in most cases, and they get married. When they move in together they realize that a marriage is a lot of work. People think that if they get married the man or woman they marry will become their vision of perfect and they will live happily ever after, but that is never the case. All people can be is themselves, and no one is perfect.

People spend their entire life trying to be the perfect child, parent, co-worker, employee, and many more things. What they don’t realize is that they may be very good at what they do, but they will never have the chance to be perfect. Every one makes a mistake ever now and again. I can remember in high school, there was a girl who referred to herself as perfect. She was good at school, doing the whole cheerleader thing, being the teacher’s pet, being a good daughter, and being a good sister, but she lack the ability to realize that she got on just about everyone’s last nerve. She was close to perfect, but she will never quite be perfect. I am not trying to be depressing or pessimistic, but it is my belief. There are people that are really good at it seem like everything they do. When you get to know these people however, they would trade a day to not have the pressure of being perfect.

I have the strong belief that nothing can be perfect. Perfect is a state of mind, a time period, it will never last forever. I believe that happily ever after is in the eye of the beholder. I think if smooth sailing for the rest of your life is perfect, then you need to wake up and smell the coffee. However, if perfect is like being on a roller coaster not seeing what is coming around the next bend, you have the right illusion.