Krysta - Cambridge, Ohio

Driving through downtown Cambridge is usually pretty boring, but when you see a police officer, that’s when it gets interesting. Cambridge is a little town, but it sure is full of drama. Every time you see a cop, you are very likely to see them breaking the law. They are either littering, speeding, pulling someone over for a random; reasonless stop, or not using their turn signal or seatbelt. I’m not sure if it is just the cops in Cambridge, or if this is all cops, but around here cops breaking the law happen quite often. My dad and I see this almost every time we go into town, whether it be together or separately. There are many times when cops are speeding on a road, without there flasher on, throwing cigarette butts out the window, or the one that bugs me most, driving without their seat belts on. The police are supposed to enforce these laws, yet they break them while on the job. This aggravates both my dad and me.

Our law enforcers should be the ones setting a good example, but instead they are breaking the law and writing tickets to other people for what they themselves are already doing. I think that officers should be penalized for there actions. I realize that this would be completely impossible, it angers me to see this in a town where I personally know the police chief. Even though I have never said anything to him and neither has my dad, we just keep our anger built up inside of us. I would like to see genuine, responsible, and caring law enforcers, but instead I see jerks who act like hard ass’s and get away with what is not morally right.

Even though both my dad and I have very strong opinions on this matter we have failed to do anything. Of course, the only thing that could be done in this town is write a letter to the editor. This is where you write a letter and they publish it in the mailbox of our community newspaper, The Daily Jeffersonian. Doing this would spark attention and get the law enforcement riled up. Maybe that is what I’ll decide to do about this matter.