Estella - Carrollton, Ohio

I Believe it Takes a Village to Raise a Child

Every child has had several people in their lives that have influenced them, whether good or bad, someone has left an impression.

I believe that the saying it takes a village to raise a child is exactly right. I have four children. As I was watching my two youngest children play yesterday, I could see each and every person who is a part of their lives, in my children!

I feel that everyone has something to offer our children. I think if people spent a lot more time, nurturing, loving and teaching the new generation growing up, that our world could be a better place. I live in a cul-de-sac where most of the mother’s feel it is fine for the children to run free. I know that sounds bad but it is not. The children “roam” but there is always several adults looking out for them.

Someone knows at all times where your child is. If you need to throw a load of laundry in, go ahead. Your child will be safe. Needless to say, I always know where my children are. I am glad for the influence these other ladies and gentlemen have had in my children’s life. By being around other people, my children are learning different things that I may not be able to teach them and vice versa.

Some children that run around never had siblings and they are being taught to share, some children don’t know about God, some children don’t know that it is okay to not be the “best” at everything; some children don’t know it is not ok to hit and beat on their brother and sister. By forming a bond with the other mothers and fathers, our children have a little bit of freedom along with learning morals, values and new life’s lessons.