Julia - Littleton, Colorado

“I don’t want to go out there! What if they all laugh at me? Then what? What will I do?” Brittany was standing backstage, peeking through the curtains at the audience. “I don’t know like half of the dance! I know that I will screw up! I’m just not going to go on stage!” Brittany was the definition of a cheerleader. She had all of the qualities that a stereotypical cheerleader had. Brittany was one of the best dancers in our class but she had just gone through knee surgery and hadn’t danced in two weeks. However, she still knew the dance better then half of the class. But, she was being her normal over-dramatic self right now. It made me want to slap her. Tonight was the “Big Show” and there were near a thousand people in the audience. Finally our number was up. Brittany decided not to go out and dance that number. The next year she didn’t come back to our dance class. Her mom told the class that she didn’t think the Brittany had enough talent to become a good dancer. Who knows maybe if Brittany would’ve gone out and danced that night she would have stayed in our class and kept dancing, one of her favorite things to do.

Everyone can have self doubt but, it shouldn’t hold you back from getting what you want or reaching your dreams. I have experienced self-doubt many times before. But, I have learned over time that if I want something I can’t just sit back and wait for it to maybe come to me. If I want something then I should get it and not let anything get in my way. One time my friend had an experience where she had to learn the hard way to go for what she wants. She really liked this one guy, but she didn’t know if he liked her or anything else that girls always fret about when they like a guy. It happened that that guy really did like her back. But since she was so unsure of herself she just got very weird every time he came near her. He thought that was her way of trying to say in a nice way that she wasn’t interested in him. So he backed off and stopped liking her. A little while later he went after a girl who was very sure of herself and they had a good relationship. The girl was crushed but I had to admit that it was her who had lead to her downfall. Of course I couldn’t say that to her but in the back of my mind I kept it there just in case I had something like that ever come up. I didn’t want the same out come for me as for her. I don’t want any of my friends to ever have to go through that again. Yes, sometimes you have to be timid and not scare your dream away. But I believe that you should always go for what you want.