Zach - Wilbraham, Massachusetts
Themes: carpe diem

I believe that worrying about the future is meaningless. Why worry about the future when today could be your last day to live? Have you ever asked yourself these questions; “Where am I going to go to college?” “What am I going to be when I grow up?”, “Who am I going to marry?”, “What kind of job am I going to have?” “How much money will I make?” “When will I die?” “How will I die?” Many of these questions have been asked at least once in our life and have been pondered upon. However, not one of these questions should have an impact on what you do with your life, because worrying about the future can prevent you from delighting in the present.

I am suggesting now that you just live your life one day at a time, minute by minute, hour by hour. It’s the little things in life that make our life fulfilling and sometimes we overshadowed the present joys in life by questioning what our future will look like. Do you remember your first tooth that was pulled, your first spill off a bicycle, your first taste of watermelon sherbet ice cream, your first “A” on your report card, your first kiss? All these moments in your life can be pushed off to the side and forgotten because we sometimes worry too much about the future.

I remember the time when my family decided to move out of Springfield. Every day I questioned where we were going to end up. Was it going to be Hampden, Wilbraham, East Longmeadow, or even Connecticut? I analyzed this question so much and worried about if I was going to “fit in” and make new friends that I missed enjoying the last months in my old house and neighborhood and forgot about all the sensational memories I had experienced. Our sacred tree stump, our decaying dog house, and our rusty basketball hoop were all forgotten. The way the sun would shine in through my bedroom window and sting my eyes when I first woke up; that memory drifted away. My trophies dressed in dust and my glow in the dark stars on my ceiling that provided light when I slept; those memories were overthrown by my concern about my future. I missed out on my last days in my old house and now I barely remember it.

Enjoy each day, cherish it, and don’t let the worries about tomorrow create a sense of fear that you miss out on the joys of today. The next time you start worrying about the future, take a moment and think about the last two weeks in your life and remember the five best things that happened during that time span. This will allow you not to miss the little things in life that bring a smile your face creating a sense of relief.